On the occasion of the establishment of the
“Miltiadis Marinakis Endowed Professorship for Modern Greek Language and Culture” at The Ohio State University
of the appointment of the first Professor, Mr. Yiorgos Anagnostou
Capital Link Webinar discussion on the topic of:
"Culture and Education among Greek Americans"
Academic departments in the humanities have been dwindling in the past decades worldwide, as part of a wider shift of interest from the arts and humanities to the sciences. This shift is more practically oriented, but can endanger knowledge of cultural diversity, language, and tradition both for individuals and societies.
To preserve access to higher education about Modern Greece abroad, with Mr. Evangelos Marinakis as lead sponsor, Ohio Hellenic Paideia ('OHP', Columbus Ohio, USA) initiated and completed a new round of fundraising between 2015-2020, in order to safeguard the continuing operation of the Modern Greek Studies Program at The Ohio State University (Columbus Ohio, USA).
The chair of the program has been named after Mr. Marinakis' late father, Miltiadis Marinakis, a well-respected philanthropist, who instilled in Mr. Marinakis a sense of duty toward his fellow man and pride in his Greek heritage.
The "Miltiadis Marinakis Endowed Professorship for Modern Greek Language and Culture" was established by The Board of Trustees of The Ohio State University ('OSU') on the 25th of March, 2020.
This webinar highlighted modern Greek language and culture, in the wider context of the Greek-American experience, preserving tradition throughout history, while absorbing and reshaping enriching influences, and evolving with global popular culture.
- Mr. Nicolas Bornozis, President – Capital Link Inc.
- His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros of America
- H.E. Mrs. Alexandra Papadopoulou – Ambassador of Greece in the US
- Mr. Evangelos Marinakis, Chairman – Capital Maritime & Trading Corp.
- Mr. Yiorgos Anagnostou Miltiadis Marinakis Professor of Modern Greek Language and Culture – The Ohio State University
Mr. Gregory Jusdanis, Modern Greek Humanities Distinguished Professor – The Ohio State University
PANELISTS BY ORDER OF INTERVENTION:
- Mr. John P. Calamos, Sr., Founder, Chairman & Global Chief Investment Officer - Calamos Investments ; Chairman -National Hellenic Museum
- Mr. Drake Behrakis, The Behrakis Foundation ; Board Chairman – National Hellenic Society Organization ; President – Marwick Associates
- Mr. Robert Buhler, Chairman - PanHellenic Scholarship Foundation; President and Chief Executive Officer - Open Pantry Food Marts of Wisconsin, Inc.
- Mr. George G. Horiates, Supreme President – Order of AHEPA
- Mrs. Artemis Leontis, C.P. Cavafy Professor of Modern Greek and Comparative Literature Department of Classical Studies - University of Michigan
- Mr. Nick Larigakis, President & Chief Executive Officer, American Hellenic Institute